Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Chucking It Down

West of Scotland Cricket Ground in Partick, Glasgow. Site of the first international football match between Scotland and England. Have you ever been caught in a rain storm so heavy, it makes a mockery of even the most substantial umbrellas? I got drenched this afternoon on the way home from work, despite having a nice big brolly to keep me dry. By the time I was a third of the way home, my legs were sodden and the brolly had sprung a couple of leaks. I was almost as wet as the west end trendies running for cover in their flip flops and khaki shorts. It seemed to go on for an eternity and I needed to stop and shelter several times to avoid the worst of it. Fat lot of good it did me. That said, there is something rather majestic about a great big cloud burst like that. It's a fine sight to behold, as long as you're not out in it. I think that was my mistake. Instead of trying to make some headway through it, I should have taken shelter somewhere and just watched it pass over. A bit of thunder and lightening would have topped the show off perfectly. Wemyss Bay Station. Just as an aside, I found this page on the British Red Cross site(see sidebar) which details ways in which you can contribute towards the humanitarian efforts being undertaken in places where sanity and restraint have broken down and the people getting it in the neck are those who have the least idea of what is going on and why it's happening to them. Cheers!

2 comments:

GreatSheElephant said...

" Site of the first international football match between Scotland and England."

You know, I can still see quite a large patch of dried blood in the middle of the pitch.

iLL Man said...

That's nothing, you ought to have seen the mess the gentlemen of the 'Young Scotstoun & Dowanhill Fleet' made of the visitors dressing rooms.