Saturday, December 20, 2008

Aberdeen Man Lost At Sea

"I thought he was dead!" "Someone told me he was travelling the world in Sinclair C5!" "Really? I heard he was re-painting the Sistine Chapel with a toothbrush and a pot of Duluxe !" All wrong of course! I've been jumping through my arsehole for Jesus, if it's any of your business. Which it's not.
I have to admit, I'm fascinated by parochialism. That notion that nothing that happens anywhere else is of any importance, unless there are fellow Scots/Brits/Belgians etc involved. A prime example of it was seen today on a newsagent billboard for the Daily Record. "Scottish Victims of Nickell Murderer!" Ok, I know, it's just an angle, it's about flogging sub-literate printed bum wad to people who have trouble walking and talking at the same time. Thing is, this all comes from a newspaper that looks down it's nose at the very notion of Scottish independence as something tacky and small-minded, as something a little bit................parochial? Tonights music comes courtesy of Kinky Friedman, of Texas Jewboys fame.
Kinky for president!!

3 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

Reminds me of an old Not the Nine O'Clock News sketch where they were doing a news item and said there'd been some disaster somewhere and the injuries, in order of importance were...

iLL Man said...

You see, that's negative Scottish parochialism to me, not tartan tat and shortbread tins.

Oblong said...

Reminds me of the current Pringles advert in which a girl being interviewed about a new breed of this snack comments, 'They're in a bag - which is amazing.' Crisps in a bag can only be amazing if the only variety you've ever seen is Pringles and you think bags are more 'amazing' than tubes.