Sunday, June 28, 2009

Swells

As if last week's Michael Jackson/Farah Fawcett '2 for 1' deal wasn't fascinating enough for a rubber-necking scumbag like me, the news comes through that SHOUTY MUSIC JOURNO Steven Wells has also relocated to a quieter suburb. I don't really remember much of his writing in the NME, though his by-line meant you'd get a few laughs if nothing else. I was more of an Melody Maker chick to be honest. In the intervening years since I gave up reading the weekly music comics, it seems he'd relocated across the Atlantic and was plying his scabrous, contrarian trade over there when he fell ill with cancer. Och! Anyway, just a thought God, but any chance of a similar run this week, but on slightly more deserving targets? I'm watching the Glastonbury coverage on BBC just now, and I can think of at least three of the presenters.........Or possibly the whole of Blur. That would be nice. As I said, just a thought...

2 comments:

Cocktails said...

I only discovered that he'd died today thanks to yours and BLTPs blog. I was definitely an NME person and loved his vitriol, defence of pop and CAPITAL LETTERS.

I didn't know he wrote for that paper in Phily or that he was ill, just knew he still did some provocative stuff for the The Guardian.

Liked his last piece that you linked to though - and the fact that every ex journo ever for the NME seemed compelled to leave a comment...

PS. Liked your poem too. very evocative!

iLL Man said...

Well, it seems God must have thought Molly Sugden was a right cunt.....